We are now in the thick of training hard for competitions and for Skills, and since the coaches keep throwing around various names of figures and skills elements, I wanted to do a little blog post clarifying which is which!
SKILLS - All AquaStars are currently classified as Skill 0 and we are all together working on our Skill Level 1.
There are 12 total skills within Skill Level 1 that each swimmer is training and will need to individually demonstrate before a Skill Assessor at a Skill Assessment Day.
1. (Right or Left) Split on land - This is a compulsory pass which means if you can't do your split you can't pass your Level 1!
2. (Right or Left) Ballet leg with bottles
3. Stationary back layout (5secs) and then head first travel on back for 5 metres
4. Back tucked somersault
5. Hanging vertical
6. Straight arm back crawl to music 1 width, max 10 metres
7. Front layout followed by prone position travelling 3 metres using rev scoop scull
8. Support scull on side of pool or with woggle
9. Long sitting against a wall demonstrating fully extended knees
10. Stationary eggbeater
11. Torpedo scull 8 metres
12. Pike fall
Click HERE to read a breakdown of what the Skill Assessor is looking for and (hopefully!) ticking off for EACH of the above Skills.
Next week I'll explain all the FIGURE groups!